Teknova's background and purpose
Teknova was established in 2007 by the University of Agder and Agder Research, and is currently owned by the University of Agder, Agder Research, JB Ugland Holding AS, Aker Solutions AS, Elkem AS, Agder Research Foundation, Sparebanken Pluss AS, Skeie Group AS and Agder Energi Innovasjon AS.
The first whole year with a running operation was in 2009. Teknova’s offices are located in Kristiansand and Grimstad. Teknova aims to be an independent task by task research institute. We wish to create values for our users, the society and our owners. Teknova established the company Teknova Invest AS in 2009. This company is currently owned by four of Teknova’s owners. Teknova Invest shall further develop and commercialize technologies developed by Teknova, if users/employers wish for such commercialization.
Teknova was established to fill the need for a research institute for science and technology. The goal is to create a bond between the University of Agder, Agder Research and the industry and commerce in the southern part of Norway. This is, and will in the foreseeable future remain, the most important feature of Teknova’s operations. Teknova also has tasks that stretch outside the southern part of Norway, as research is often international and the industries we work with are often global. In the Norwegian research environment Teknova is competing for funds provided by both industries and the authorities, for instance from programs by the Research Council of Norway and the EU.
Qualities emphasized by Teknova’s board:
- That we work closely with employers, and deliver results that meet the expectations
- That we collaborate with other research institutes and organisations
- That we can measure results from our cooperation with the University of Agder and Agder Research
- That we contribute to mobility between these organisations and the industries
- That we gain ground with our applications to the Research Council of Norway and the EU
- That our research contributes to a growth in new businesses, new ideas for commercialization and new patents
But most important:
Teknova seeks to build a fine reputation by being an attractive place of work for researchers and research fellows. At the same time, Teknova aims to be flexible by adapting to new knowledge and competence demands, as well as meet the expectations of our employers and the society.